Rules and Regulations Sparring Rules and Etiquette
Rules and Regulations:
- Always address your instructor and fellow students as “Sir” or “Ma’am” as a sign of respect.
- Upon entering or leaving the training area, bow towards the training area. Bowing is a traditional way of showing both humility and respect.
- Students arriving late to class should stand at the back edge of the training area and ask permission to enter class. It is impolite and disruptive to the class in session just to slip in.
- Please try to be on time for class. The beginning of the class is the warm up and stretching portion of class. A proper warm up and stretch will help to reduce risk of injuries like pulled muscles and possibly more serious injuries.
- Should you need to leave early, please inform the instructor prior to class.
- Please wear a clean uniform to class.
- Students of all ranks may wear a white uniform.
- A Blue uniform may be worn by students of Orange Belt or higher; a Red uniform may be worn by students of Green Belt or higher.
- A Black Dobok or Heavyweight Gi in all colors may be worn by students of Blue Belt or higher.
- Please, no mix matching of differently colored uniform tops and bottoms. This rule does not apply to mix matching of differently colored t-shirts and pants.
- No uniforms bearing the logo or patches from other schools allowed. This would be considered a sign of disrespect. Students visiting from other schools are asked to wear a plain uniforms.
- NO SHOES ON THE MAT AREA!
- Please no overnight storage of gear or equipment.
- For safety reasons, please remove all rings, necklaces, watches, earrings, or other miscellaneous jewelry that may cause injury to yourself or others.
- Please keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed, as they too can cause injury to yourself or others.
- No food or drink allowed in the training area. Food and drink in the lobby must be placed in the trash when finished. In order to keep our studio clean, I ask all family members to help in this regard.
- The uniform required for testing is a complete white uniforms, with our school patch sewn on the left breast of the top.
During the summer months, ABK T-Shirts can be worn as a uniform top. The only exception to this rule will be on the day of testing, where a complete white uniform is required.
Sparring Rules and Etiquette:
- A full set of ABK supplied sparring gear must be worn when sparring. This includes head, mouth, torso, groin, hand, shin, and foot protective gear. There can be no exceptions. This is enforced for the safety of all students.
- All sparring contact shall be LIGHT CONTACT.
- No contact sparring will be allowed at the White Belt level. No head contact at the Yellow and Orange Belt level. Only controlled head contact is allowed at Green Belt or higher.
- NEVER strike to injure your sparring partner. Good control of both yourself and your techniques are required. Non-Compliance with this rule may result in suspension from sparring classes.
If your partner is striking too hard, politely ask them to “use more control”. If your partner continues to strike too hard, bow out of sparring and inform your instructor.